Saturday, December 11, 2010

Baking Tips!

Learning to bake without sugar has been a work-in-progress for me. I somehow had the impression that you could substitute Splenda cup-for-cup in my regular recipes. The results were less than edible!
I'm keeping at it, because I don't want to face the rest of my life without cookies and cupcakes!
I'm making the mistakes, so you don't have to.

Just because your baking is now Diabetic-friendly, it doesn't mean you will be eating handfuls of cookies. They are small and you are limited to 1 or 2 per serving.

I found a Splenda Cookbook at my Mom's and also checked out the Splenda website and got a few tips.

  • The conversion charts for substituting the different forms of Splenda are here
  • In order to achieve volume in your cakes,  go down 1 pan size from 9 in to 8 in. Add 1/2 cup of non-fat dry milk and 1/2 tsp baking powder per cup of Splenda.
  • To keep muffins moist,  add 1-2 tsp of honey. My poor daughter has eaten some really bad experiments in this category.
  • In cookie recipes, add an additional tsp of vanilla extract and flatten the cookies a little before baking.
  • Recipes may require less baking time. For cookies, brownies and quickbreads check at 3-5 min before suggested baking time. For cakes, check at 7 to 10 min before suggested baking time.
Good Luck!  If you have some success with a favorite recipe, let me know. I'll be sharing the best of my Fall baking and I'm already doing rehearsals with some Holiday treats to post in the next week or so.

2 comments:

  1. How do things taste with Splenda? Can you tell its Splenda and not sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is a subtle difference in taste. The baked goods are tasty and they satisfy the craving for something sweet, so I think it's worth it.

    I really like the Splenda Brown Sugar Blend.

    ReplyDelete