Friday, December 17, 2010

Recipe: AMAZING Crabcakes And Stuffed Mushrooms


A day off in the life of a diabetic cook.
  • Get up and without eating or drinking that 1st cup of coffee,  go to get bloodwork done for Dr visit on the next day off.
  • Go to 1st place possible for coffee.  I have bitten J's head off at least 3 times, and finally warn her I haven't had my coffee yet. End up at mickey D's. Good coffee but not the Dunkin I crave.
  • Egg Mcmuffin... uh oh,  2 breads already gone.
  • Backroad it to my absolute favorite place for food.  Freshfields Farm in Orlando is amazing. It is small, but has the best fresh fruit and vegetables that I have found and always worth the drive. If you need something, they've got it and it is fresher and  cheaper than the grocery stores.
  • Next we go to the meat market side...also amazing and if you are looking for something they usually have it. They didn't have the crab I needed for today's experiment. They did have the mushrooms though.
  • Off to Costco. They have a really nice lump white crab meat from Crown Prince, packaged with 2 cans... the perfect size for this recipe. It's lunch time at Costco and they have the best deal, with an all-beef hotdog and diet coke for $1.50
  • Uh oh, 2 more breads gone, but I am stuffed and we are going to be mostly eating vegetables and protein the rest of the day.
 This is the crab cake recipe that  gets better every time I make it, due to adjustments made from the original.

1 cup of Italian bread crumbs  ( I have changed this to 1 cup of chopped italian styled croutons, using the chopper. They are finely chopped, but not as fine as if I had used a food processor.)

3 eggs

1 rib of celery chopped small

3 tablespoons of light mayo

3 tablespoons of mozarella cheese  (I use the part-skim to save on fat content)


1 1/2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce

1/4 teaspoon of black pepper


3/4 teaspoon of paprika

MIX ALL THIS TOGETHER BEFORE YOU ADD THE CRABMEAT

2-13 oz (nt wt) cans of crab meat. I have found the lump white better tasting than other types. total of 16 ounces dry weight after the cans have been drained of liquid.

Fold in the crabmeat gently, but thoroughly, with the above mixture to make the crab cakes... or in this case the stuffing for Crab Stuffed Mushrooms.

When this is done I let the ingredients sit in the fridge for several hours to let the flavors come together.

For the crabcakes:

Form 12 patties, heat 2 tablespoons of oil (I prefer olive oil) over med  to just over medium heat and cook them 3-4 minutes per side or until nicely browned.

By far these are the best crabcakes I have ever had. They are not fancy and look more like a salmon pattie than a fancy restaurant's crab cake, but since I have had to change everything about the way I eat, I am more interested in how does it taste, than how does it look.

Today I am stuffing the mushrooms with this and baking them for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.

WHAT A SUCCESS!! THEY CAME OUT GREAT!!

I took them to work and 24 people taste-tested. I told them it was imperative to be honest, as it was going out to the world.

I heard people talk about them when I wasn't around and I even heard they were off the shnizzle..Enjoy

Nutritional Info: 1 serving = 2 crabcakes or 8 stuffed mushrooms.

These amounts are approx since I have changed the original recipe a little:
Cal 93
Fat 4g
Prot 12g
Carb 1g


1 comment: